There’s something so special about a cake’s sweet aroma that completely engulfs a room. You simply can’t resist having a bite once you spot a cake. Whether it is birthdays, anniversaries, or any other celebration, these soft and sugary delights are sure to brighten up every occasion. Since cakes hold such a valuable presence for any event, it is only natural to want to uplift this presence. This is where cake stands come into the picture.
In this article, we will discuss:
- What is a cake stand?
- Different kinds of cake stands
- DIY Cake Stand ideas
- How to buy a cake stand in Singapore?
1. What is a cake stand?
A cake stand is a structure made to support, decorate and present a cake. They can also be used to present small bite-sized food items like pastries, tarts, cupcakes, and sandwiches. Depending on the cake size, you can choose a cake stand in various sizes and tiers. Nowadays, you can easily spot cake stands at weddings, birthday parties, coffee shops, and bakeries. Cake stands are a great tool for both decorations and presentations on different occasions.
Here’s a fun fact: The concept of a cake stand was majorly popularised during the late Victorian era. This was the time when the Victorians started using the cake stands to display different cakes served with their tea. Although initially cake stands were normally made out of ceramics, nowadays you can find stands made out of metal, wood, glass, as well as plastic. Modern pieces made out of metals are also featured at various parties and coffee shops.
2. Different kinds of cake stands
The best part about a cake stand is the fact that it is both an instrument and a decor piece. You can easily arrange your cake and desserts on this stand and, at the same time, elevate the ambiance of your event. Cake stands come in different shapes, materials, and forms. This makes it easier to choose the one that matches your theme and style.
- Single-tiered cake stand
This is the most common stand that is used by both professionals as well as home bakers. Due to its simple structure, you can use these stands to display your minimalist cakes or cupcakes. Single-tiered cake stands are ideal for smaller events or birthday parties.
- Multi-tiered cake stand
Multiple tiered cake stand is perfect to add a grander effect and elevation to your cake, especially if it’s for a big occasion like a wedding. Two or three-tiered cake stands are more popular and can be seen at weddings and birthdays. People have also started presenting cakes and other desserts on a multi-tiered cake stand for different occasions like Christmas parties and graduation parties.
- Rotatable cake stand
An instrument that is needed by every baker, rotatable cake stands are excellent for adding intricate designs and decorations to a cake. Rotatable stands come with wheels under the plate that makes it easier to turn the plate completely.
Due to its structure, every surface of the cake can be easily accessed by a baker to add definitions to a cake during the frosting phase. In addition, rotatable stands can also be used to display small cakes and desserts as it will make it easier for a person to choose the most appealing one.
- Wooden cake stand
A stand made of wood ensures durability and support. Moreover, wooden cake stands are perfect to add a rustic backdrop to your event. You can use them for light-colored cakes and desserts. Wooden stands can also be used as a charcuterie board. You can add various cheeses, fruits, meats, and bread to this stand to go for a more aesthetic appeal for your social media pictures.
- Glass cake stand
Glass stands are the go-to option for formal events. They can be used to add a vintage and elegant touch to your party. In addition, glass stands are excellent pieces of decor that do not deviate attention from cakes and other desserts. You can opt for a clear or tinted glass stand depending on your cake color.
- Porcelain cake stand
Porcelain stands are more of an old-school choice that is still quite popular. Light porcelain cake stands are perfect for desserts with darker hues. Everyone’s favorite- a chocolate cake- looks perfect on a white porcelain cake stand.
- Dome cake stand
Cake stands with domes are practical options for bakeries and shops. They are also used at homes and parties as they can cover the cake from flies and dirt. Usually, these domes are clear that can display appetizing cakes as well as protect them.
3. DIY cake stand ideas
While it is easier to just buy a cake stand from the market, you can even create one easily with the help of your easily-available kitchen supplies. The two most important things for a stand are the pillar and a plate. You can substitute both these things with things of your choice and create your own version.
Steps to create a cake stand at home
- Choose a plate that will support your cake. This plate can be made of glass, plastic, wood, or metal. You can even go for wooden planks, cardboard, porcelain plates, and cakes molds to create a base that will hold your cake. An old vintage porcelain plate is easily available and is sturdy enough to support a cake.
- If you want to create a disposable stand, use paper or plastic plates. You can even use cardboard that can be easily structured as desired.
- Choose your pillar. Remember that this pillar will support your plate as well as the cake or items that will be placed above it. Opt for a pillar with the ideal material that can hold your plate and cake. You can use a wine glass, martini glass, cup, canisters, or bowl as pillars. A small teacup and saucer are also perfect to create an adorable mini cake stand.
- The next step is to glue the plate and the pillar together. Although you can use different kinds of adhesives, hot glue guns will easily work for most materials. Do not forget to give ample time for the glue to dry before you use the cake stand.
- If you are going for a multi-tiered stand, repeat the process of attaching a plate to a pillar till you reach your desired height. Use a smaller plate with every layer that you add to your stand.
- The last step is the best part of a DIY cake stand. Decorate the stand according to your own choice or preferences. You can use spray paint, beads, flowers, or other embellishments to make the stand more attractive. Or add puzzle pieces, miniature figurines, or pictures that represent your personality and interests.
You can use these DIY cake stands for parties, events or simply use them to showcase your cooking on your dining table. Moreover, DIY cake stands are also excellent gift options for a person who is passionate about baking.
4. How to buy a cake stand in Singapore?
The holiday season is just around the corner, which is the perfect time to add a cake stand to your decor collection. Whether you are a baker or a passionate party thrower, a cake stand will certainly create a stylish appeal.
Nowadays, it is quite easy to get your hands on a cake stand under your budget. You can easily buy one from a cake shop or a gift shop. Cake stands are also available online on various sites and apps. For example, Lazada has an excellent variety of cake stands that you can buy for birthday parties or the holiday season. You can even buy disposable cake stands here that ranges between $5 to $10 if you are not keen on buying a permanent piece.
Truffulla Forest is another option to buy vintage and elegant stands perfect for lavish events. You can get a cake stand here between $20 to $45 easily.
3littlepicks are running special discounts on their pastel and ceramic cake stand collection. The prices here range between $50 to $60.
If you are looking for the perfect cakes to go with these cake stands, Flower Advisor will help you get the ideal cake in your budget.