Nobody understands the value of diapers better than newly made parents. In fact, a baby might require 10-15 diaper changes in a single day. This fact is enough to explain the meaning behind the trend of adorable diaper cakes.
Diaper cakes are gaining popularity as the star of baby showers. They make for an excellent decoration piece for baby showers and can be made easily. While a cake made of diapers might sound absurd, diaper cakes are not really edible cakes but a convenient gift idea for new parents.
In this article, we will discuss:
- What is the point of diaper cakes?
- How many diapers do you need for a diaper cake?
- How to make a diaper cake?
- Decoration ideas
What is the point of diaper cakes?
There’s no denying the fact that most people love gifts. Turning this gift into a thoughtful gesture is an art and diaper cakes are the perfect thoughtful gifts.
Can you ever think of a decoration piece that doubles as a must-have item of the house? Imagine how many diapers will a house with a newborn will need. While cakes and flowers are always appreciated, a more practical gift is one desirable addition.
In addition, it is quite easy to personalize a diaper cake according to the preferences of the new parents. You can even add additional newborn necessities as gifts inside the diaper cake for a more convenient gift to feature at any kind of baby shower.
How many diapers do you need for a diaper cake?
Depending on the size and requirements of your cake, the usage of the number of diapers will vary. However, to get an idea about the approximate number of diapers that you might need, you can expect the base layer to use up 30-35 rolled diapers.
You can choose to make a single layer or can go even up to two or three-tier cakes. The second layer might require up to 20 diapers and the last one can be between 6-8 diapers.
Assuming that you are making this cake, you would be using size 1 diapers. However, you can use any size diapers to create this cake. Nowadays, diapers come in many colors and prints that can be chosen according to the theme of the party. You can also make one with the help of the diapers in our specially curated baby hamper.
Coming to the company, there are many diaper brands that you buy. You can go for Huggies nature-made which is specially created for delicate skin whereas Offspring fashion diapers come with adorable prints. Peek-A-Poo is another brand that is thinner and more comfortable on the skin. Pampers and Mamypoko come with a comfortable fit and affordable prices.
How to make a diaper cake?
Before making the diaper cake, let us first sort out everything that we will need in the making. For a typical three-tiered diaper cake, you will need 55-60 diapers, a base, rubber bands, a long cardboard tube, glue, ribbons, and some extra decoratives.
Now, we will look at every step to create this cake.
- Choose a strong base from the cake. Remember that the foundation is extremely important otherwise the cake might collapse. You can choose a cake stand or a cake board as the base. A base can also be decorated with any kind of paint or paper that you might want.
- The next step is to roll up the diapers neatly and secure them tightly with rubber bands. Do not use contrasting colors of rubber bands, they might make the cake look unattractive.
- After you have secured the diapers, place a cardboard tube on the cake base. If you don’t have a cardboard tube, you can even use a lotion or shampoo bottle. This is to provide support to your cake.
- Start assembling the rolled-up diapers around this tube. If you want a bigger cake, you can layer up the diapers around each other till you get your desired diameter. Use a bigger rubber band, thread, or ribbon to secure all the diapers in one layer.
- Use the glue for additional support to secure the ribbon or thread.
- Follow the same steps for the remaining layers by reducing the diameter size in every layer.
- You can even hide some small additional gifts inside the remaining space in the diapers.
- After you are done with the basic structure of the cake, you can start decorating it according to the theme.
Decoration ideas for the diaper cake
The most fun part about these cakes is that there are no rules for decorations. You can decorate these cakes with some of the easiest available supplies and decoratives. Here are some diaper cake decoration ideas to choose from:
- You can add colorful flowers and ribbons to the cake for a fun-looking cake. Colors like gold, red, blue, and pink are some of the most popular colors to choose from.
- If you want to take a more personalized road, add different signs and messages to your cake. You can make a special sign or card with messages from different friends and family members and place them on the cake with glue or threads. This decoration idea will definitely tug many heartstrings.
- Decorate it with toys and balloons. What better way to decorate a cake for a baby than with toys. You can place different shaped soft toys and other plastic toys around the cake for an adorable sight. Using soft toys would be a safer option since it is safer for small babies.
- Decorations with sweet treats and chocolates will never disappoint any new parents. While sweet treats cannot be enjoyed by newborn babies, parents will certainly enjoy them. You can place different sweet treats like candies, cake pops, mini cupcakes, and chocolates on the cake as well as around the cake for a sweet gift look.
- Decorating the cake according to seasons or festivals is another fun idea. For example, you can go for winter-themed or Christmas-themed decorations if you are making the cake around that time.
- For a more illuminating or dazzling cake, you can use fairy lights or electric lights.
- Adding baby shoes, caps, or small mittens to the cake will also help to create a cute cake.
- Another idea would be to add a big net around the cake and secure it with a ribbon. This also helps to transfer the cake conveniently without any damages.