Cakes have gone through a revolution in the past couple of years with trends like geode cakes, customized cakes, minimal cakes, and 3D printed cakes. But, imagine the reaction of people when you pull out money from a cake! Money pulling cake is all the rage currently owing to its surprise effect. While giving money and cakes on special occasions and birthdays are common, money cakes are the best of both worlds.
In this article, we will discuss:
- What is a money-pulling cake?
- How to make money pulling cake?
What is a money-pulling cake?
Money-pulling cake has recently gained popularity, especially in Asian nations. The reason could be that Asian countries have a culture of gifting money on many occasions and consider it to be lucky. For instance the tradition of gifting money inside red packets during the Chinese New Year.
Cake makers have beautifully adapted this tradition into money-pulling cakes. At the same time, this cake also makes for great Instagram pictures and videos. Did you know that the first money-pulling cake was made in the 1980s? Auntie MaryAnn is credited with the invention of this cake on her daughter’s birthday.
How to make a money-pulling cake?
If you want to surprise someone with this creative cake, you can try making a money-pulling cake at home. There are a few supplies that you will need to make it.
- Money bills
- Cake topper
- Small box with a lid
- Cake of your choice
- Plastic roll
Steps to make the cake
After getting all your supplies, you can begin assembling your cake. Here are the steps to make your money-pulling cake:
- Start by choosing your cake. You can opt for any flavor that you might like. Take a knife and make a small carving in the center of the cake the size of your box. Remember that your box along with the money inside will sit inside the cake, so make the carvings according to the correct dimensions of the box.
- The next step is to put the money bills neatly inside the plastic roll. You can place as many money notes as you want. Another approach can be to place personal messages along with the notes inside the plastic. The plastic roll will have separate pockets for the notes, so place the notes separately.
- Once you are done with the notes, roll the plastic tightly to make a small roll that will fit the box. You can check the size by inserting the notes inside the box and making the adjustments accordingly.
- After you are satisfied with the plastic roll, attach a roll clip on one end of the roll. Place the roll inside the box along with the lid and clip. Ensure that roll is placed with the clip side facing the top.
- Ensure that the lid is closed tightly and attach the cake topper to the roll clip. This cake topper will be used to pull the money out of the cake. Use Happy Birthday, Best Wishes, or Happy Anniversary cake toppers according to the occasion.
- To ensure that the box fits the cake properly, you can use leftover cake for any adjustments.
- Finally, you can start decorating the cake with frosting, cream, and decoratives. Make sure to hide the box completely for the surprise effect. You can even decorate the cake with money-themed decorations.