- What are dried flowers?
- What are the differences between preserved and dried flowers?
- What are dried flowers called? What do they symbolize?
- What flowers look best dried?
- The 7 Best Options for Dried Flowers
- Where to buy the best-dried flower in Singapore?
- How to keep dried flowers from falling apart?
- What are dried flowers good for?
Flowers symbolize love, friendship, health, glamour, and purity. They’re used for various occasions and in a flower bouquet. From weddings to simple house parties, you can find a flower vase at every venue. However, flowers are not low maintenance. They require the perfect amount of fresh water and air to keep them in bloom for a longer period.
This high-maintenance quality of fresh flowers is the exact reason why dried flowers have become so popular.
What are dried flowers?
Dried flowers are the flowers that have been dried completely to remove moisture content from them. This dehydration can either be done naturally, by letting them air dry or by placing them in a dehydrating appliance. The technique varies from flower to flower and florist to florist.
These can last much longer than fresh flowers – up to three years! Some flowers may also last even longer. This is the primary reason why dried flowers have become popular. Once dried, they don’t need any care. They don’t require any food, water, or recutting, and therefore can be used as-is. They can be arranged in any room in any flower arrangement without any harm.
Many people confuse dried flowers with preserved flowers. However, there are some major differences between the two.
What are the differences between preserved and dried flowers?
Dried and preserved flowers often confuse because they look alike. The key difference between the two is the process used to obtain them. Flowers can be preserved using various methods – by pressing, freeze-drying, microwave, etc.
In each case, the moisture content in the flour isn’t eliminated. Dried flowers are made by hanging them upside down in a dark, warm room. This process removes all the moisture and natural liquids inside the flower.
The second key difference between the two is how long they last. Preserved flower Singapore can easily last forever. They rarely decay. On the other hand, flowers that are dried do decay. While the process is slowed down significantly, eventually the flower wilts and dies. Therefore, dried flowers can last for three years or less.
Let’s understand why dried flowers are gaining popularity.
What are dried flowers called? What do they symbolize?
Dried flowers are commonly used in potpourri. A mixture of dried plants and other similar materials is often called potpourri. These are made into flower arrangements or potpourri bowls and used as decorations in houses and apartments.
Potpourri was popular in the 17th century in France where they were used to give a room natural sweet fragrance. In modern times, dried flowers are often used for aesthetic purposes. Various potpourri boxes are available both online and in supermarkets that can be placed in any home.
These potpourri boxes are usually made of several flowers and herbs and are often used to symbolize something. The symbolism of dried flowers is the same as a fresh flower. Therefore, you can call the florist that sells dried flowers Singapore and select a bouquet of your choice.
The Romans, Chinese, Greeks, and Egyptians peppered their myths and stories with symbols of flowers. And these stories were used to derive the modern symbolisms that we associate with flowers. The common symbolism of flowers are as follows:
- Lotus – This plant symbolizes rebirth or self-regeneration since the plant grows in mud.
- Lily – The symbolism of this plant depends upon the color. Pink lily bouquet symbolizes prosperity. Red lilies symbolize passion. Orange lilies symbolize pride and yellow lilies symbolize gratitude.
- Dahlia – These flowers are usually given to wish someone luck after a great achievement like a graduation or after securing a new job.
- Roses – Roses are the most popularly gifted plant. Similar to Lilies, the symbolism of roses depends on the color. For example, red roses signify romantic love while yellow roses signify friendship. Blue roses symbolize mystery.
- Daisies – Daisies all over the world are symbols of femininity. They’re commonly gifted to women and usually signify innocence and femininity.
- Red Tulips – Red tulips are a lesser-known method of confessing love to someone. They symbolize dedication and are often given during spring.
- Salvia – Salvia is a lesser-known flower. However, giving these flowers to someone means telling them that you’re thinking of them.
- Rosemary – Rosemary may be a popular herb in the culinary world, but it symbolizes remembrance. Rosemary is often brewed as a tea to help memory loss and is therefore associated with remembrance.
- Lavender – Lavender flowers symbolize devotion in any form. They can be given to students, parents, teachers, or even siblings to remind them that you support them.
- Chrysanthemums – Chrysanthemums symbolize honesty. They are often added to bouquets to bring lively color to the arrangement.
Each flower has its symbolism. However, not each flower can be dried and used in flower arrangements. You can always call a florist for a dried flower bouquet Singapore and order an arrangement. However, if you’re looking to make your own dried flowers, look through our list to find the best option.
What flowers look best dried?
From floss flowers to hydrangeas, you can dry just about any flower that can be bought by flower delivery Singapore. However, not all of them might look good with your décor. Furthermore, not all of them smell as good, which makes it difficult to create long-lasting bouquets.
So, to simplify the method for you, we’ve found seven flowers that are commonly used in flower bouquets that can be dried and stored for a long period.
The 7 Best Options for Dried Flowers
1. Baby’s breath:
These are beautiful, small white flowers that can be added to any bouquet. Baby’s breath is rarely used individually as a bouquet. Instead, it is paired with dark-colored flowers to enhance the color of both.
These are the most commonly dried and preserved flowers. These flowers take approximately ten days to dry. But if dried correctly, they can produce a subtle smell of roses forever.
Lavender flowers are popular for healing abilities, but they can also be dried. Dried lavender can be stored in any room to give it a powerful, long-lasting smell. They’re excellent insect and moth repellents.
Dried strawflowers are an excellent addition of color to your home. Their bright colors can also be used for office decoration. They can be added to a bride’s hand bouquet for an autumn wedding.
Dried pansies are paper-thin flowers. Unlike other flowers, these take up to seven weeks to dry completely. Furthermore, because of their delicate petals, they cannot be used in hand bouquets. Instead, you should use them in potpourri.
These flowers are native to Central America. Even dried, they have a deep violet or white color that can be added to any flower arrangement. Unfortunately, these flowers aren’t colorfast, therefore the original color of the flower will be darker than that of the dried flower.
Hydrangeas are some of the most popular dried flowers available in the market. You can easily buy hydrangeas and dry them yourself. They take up to three weeks to dry but can last up to a year once dried completely.
These are the seven best flowers to dry and store. Their bright colors ensure they can be used for flower decoration in any home or office. These flowers also grant a subtle smell to the room that lasts as long as the flowers do.
Where to buy the best-dried flower in Singapore?
One of the best options for flower delivery Singapore is FlowerAdvisor. Our detailed knowledge of flowers, care, and preservation methods mean you get the best flowers every time. We’re an online flower delivery service that provides flowers in over 100 countries. We can provide same-day service for both fresh and dried flowers.
How to keep dried flowers from falling apart?
Dried flowers are not like fresh flowers. If dried properly, the decay process is slowed down considerably and you’re left with flowers that won’t fall apart. While different flowers require a slight tweak to the technique, you can follow the steps given below to make dried flowers that won’t fall apart.
- Cut the stems of the flowers until they are five to six inches tall.
- Strip down the excess foliage from the flowers. This includes any dried or discoloured petals or flowers. It is also recommended that you cut down the leaves if there are any.
- Use a rubber band to tie the stems together to make a small bouquet. Don’t make large bouquets. Small bunches of two to three flowers are more than enough.
- Hang these flowers upside down in a dark room. Make sure the area is well-ventilated. If the room has windows, keep them cracked or open them once or twice during the day.
- Don’t dry the flowers in the sun if you want the color and fragrance of the flower to remain the same.
- The drying process can take four days to seven weeks. This depends entirely on the ventilation of your room and the flowers you are trying to dry. Small flowers like roses take up to four days to dry while Peonies take up to seven weeks.
- You can also dry the flowers in a microwave or special dehydrator. However, this may cause the flowers to lose their smell or color. Furthermore, the flowers may not last as long.
- Once the flower has dried completely, spray the flower with hairspray. If you use unscented hairspray, the scent of the flowers will be more prominent in the long run. The hairspray is used to preserve the flower.
That’s it. Your dried flowers are ready.
What are dried flowers good for?
Adding dry flowers to your décor has various advantages:
1. Less expensive:
Since dried flowers don’t require to be kept by the florist, they’re a cheaper and more economical option. If you’re looking for budget-friendly, beautiful flower décor, dried flowers are an excellent option.
2. Low maintenance:
As mentioned earlier, dried flowers don’t require any maintenance. You don’t need to spray them with water, give them sunlight or plant food. Instead, you can keep them in any part of your house. These are ideal for people who want to add flowers to their décor but can’t afford the upkeep.
Most dried flowers last at least one year. Others can last as long as three years. This makes them an excellent option for any home or office.
4. Natural smell:
Most flowers like roses, peonies, hydrangeas, etc. retain their smell even after they’re dry. This means you can enjoy a natural smell in your home from the source without worrying about replacing the flowers regularly.
Dried flowers are available in all shapes and sizes. Furthermore, they’re available in all countries. This means you can buy them at any point and from anywhere without worrying about availability. Flower delivery Singapore delivers it to over 100+ countries.
The beauty of dried flowers is that you don’t have to worry about seasons. Buying dried flowers means you can have seasonal flowers in your home all year long.
Dried flowers are an excellent addition to your home. They can be stored in a vase as a flower bouquet or in a simple bowl as potpourri. There’s no denying the various advantages of having dried flowers in your home. With the right flower arrangement, you can improve the Feng Shui of your home and bring a new pop of color to your décor.
FlowerAdvisor is an E-commerce engaged in the delivery of flowers and gifts worldwide. We provide the best products with the best quality for flowers and gifts that you can order at any time.
FlowerAdvisor came about due to the prominent absence of a single strong brand in Asia for International Flower Delivery. Online users struggle to discover a trusted 24-hour delivery flower site that can send flowers, hampers, and gifts to their loved ones anywhere in the world.
The best local writers support FlowerAdvisor to provide amazing content for those who want to learn more about florist and gift. Fresh contents are updated daily, so you can get new information to help you when shopping for gifts.